My dad and I love to go boating together. Ever since I can remember, we take every opportunity possible during the summer to go out on the boat whether it be to relax and kick our feet up, do some water sports with other family members, or throw a line in the water and fish. In fact, it’s hard for me to see a lake and not think of all of the amazing times that we’ve had out on the water.
Since Father’s Day is coming up next month, I decided to give my dad this shirt that says “Keep Calm and Boat On” as one of his gifts. I think he’ll really like it and I’m sure he’ll wear it out on our next boating excursion!
If you live in Minnesota like I do, you wait through the cold weather all winter long to get back out in the beautiful sunshine of summer to do the things you love. This might include biking, golfing, boating, camping, swimming and so much more.
Boating is a pastime of my family and we try to get out together every Sunday for a little picnic on the boat, some water sports and a great day in the sun! This is very hard to do when there is snow on the ground, so you can imagine my anticipation for summer to arrive!
I found this collection of products for those that have a similar love for being on the water. I thought this “keep calm and boat on” sweatshirt would be a great way to keep warm when the temps drop in the early mornings and evenings out on the water. Isn’t it great?
My guy is an AMAZING cook on the grill. He has been making all sorts of different treats for us this summer and I’m not ready to say goodbye to the season for that reason! We look online every couple of weeks to find some new recipes to try out.
I found this recipe on one of our favorite recipe sites: Grilling Companion. The photo and recipe can be found right here. I posted the recipe on this post, too, so you have quick access. Here it is:
1 whole chicken
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup orange juice
1/8 cup olive oil
6 garlic cloves smashed and then minced
2 chipotle peppers minced
ground black pepper
- Remove the chicken from the packaging, making sure to remove the gizzards and neck from the cavity if they are present (I know, duh, but still).
- Rinse the chicken thoroughly and then pat dry with paper towels.
- Follow these instructions to remove the backbone, keel bone and then flatten and cut the chicken into halves.
- Whisk together the lime juice, orange juice, olive oil, garlic and chipotle peppers in a bowl.
- Place the chicken halves in re-sealable bags and then pour in the marinade.
- Squeeze all of the air out of the bags and then place them in the refrigerator to marinate overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and then dust with Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Heat a grill to medium heat (around 400 degrees).
- Grill the chicken halves over medium heat with the lid closed, turning every few minutes until an instant-read thermometer reads 165 degrees in the breast meat.
- Total cooking time should be around 20 – 25 minutes. If the outside of the chicken is getting too charred, move the chicken halves to an unlit side of the grill and then close the lid to bake/roast the chicken until done.
I love this time of year. It stays light a little bit later so we can enjoy our time outside, the motorcycle gets ridden almost daily, the dogs are always outside running around, the grill gets cooked on all of the time, and the windows in the house are open and the house smells nice and fresh.
What’s missing from this perfect picture? That’s right, a fire pit. What’s summer without a nice toasty fire to sit around, cook some marshmallows and hot dogs, and share in good conversation? I found this great pagoda fire pit. It’s perfect for smaller decks and patios, looks great, and can be used year-round.
This is the perfect gift for a guy that loves the outdoors. No summer is complete without some nice bonfires to sit around!
Summer is almost officially here. We are about a month and a half away and I can’t wait ! Summer means SO many different things to us: grilling, camping, playing catch in the yard, bike riding, motorcycle trips, swimming, boating, fishing, hiking, playing with the dogs outside, and so much more. As you can tell, it’s my favorite time of the year. I’m a very active person and summer allows me to fit in all of my favorite activities!
I have been updating my closet for summer, but realized that Alex’s side still looks like winter. We got rid of a ton of clothes of his last fall, so it’s time for some serious updating. Since he’s not huge into going to the store and trying on a ton of things, I’m doing a lot of online shopping for his stuff.
I found these DC Villain Skate Shoes that I know he will love. They slip on and off easily for our busy summer FULL of different activities. These look great with jeans or shorts and are dressy yet casual. This is a versatile shoe that guys will love.